Continuing Restoration of 1903 Plow Car at Heritage Park
Original Location in Brookfield, NH
Readying Walls and Ceiling to accept "New" Plaster
Clapboards are installed!
Soon enough we will be ready for the Dedication happening on Heritage Day August 20th at 1pm!
New Foundation for the Wentworth Cobbler Shop
Replacing the asphalt shingle roof with wood roofing shingles as appropriate on circa 1850 Wentworth Cobbler Shop.
The Wakefield Heritage Commission is excited to have been gifted the circa 1850 Wentworth Cobbler Shop. This building was located on the Cecil Wentworth property in Brookfield, NH. Upon Cecil's death, at 101 years old, this property which had been in the Wentworth family for generations was sold. Prior to the sale, the family gave the Wentworth Cobbler Shop and its contents to the Wakefield Heritage Commission for restoration. The building was moved to Heritage Park in Union, NH. In order to accomplish this, several elements including the roof were removed under the supervision of historic preservationist, Rick Poore. Rick, a Wakefield Heritage Commission member, will be responsible for the meticulous restoration of the shop as required by the Wentworth family. When the Wentworth Cobbler Shop is completed, it will document for future generations one aspect of country life in the history of New Hampshire. We anticipate completion with a dedication in Spring 2022. Follow our progress through photos on this site.
Removal of Old Broken Plaster
By volunteer Heritage Commission Members Rick Poore and Phil Twombley
Restoration plaster by Peter Lord of Lord Plaster and Paint
The Wentworth Sisters (Janis and Lesann) checking out the progress of the Cobbler Shop.
The Wentworth Cobbler Shop
New Rubber Roof
Arriving at Heritage Park
We welcome you to visit and bring the kids for a fun day!
These visitors were enjoying their visit to Heritage Park, and allowed to help run B&M locomotive #27 into the Sanbornville roundhouse using the turntable. This unique journey included a rare passage over the causeway through the Milton / Union pond with a newly established beaver lodge with beavers hard at work. The overall view of the B&M Roundhouse & Maintenance buildings include the newly modeled carpenter shop which is where the devastating fire started in 1911 when the shop crew threw some trash in the furnace just before quitting time at 4 PM.
We are open Saturdays and Sundays from 12 noon until 4 PM, July through September 24th.