From left to right, Ken White, Joe Santoro, Rich Breton, Tony Keegan, Bill Gaver and George Allen. Photo courtesy Cindy Gilman
Visitors of all ages enjoy the details, craftsmanship and historical accuracy of the Boston & Maine Railroad HO scale model at the Freight House/Heritage Park Railroad Museum. New this year is a scavenger hunt game -- see if you can locate all the items on the list!
The all-volunteer construction crew includes (in alphabetical order) George Allen of Rochester, Rich Breton of Rochester, Bill Gaver of Brookfield, Cory Fothergill of Union, Lee Gridley of Ossipee, Tony Keegan of Wolfeboro, Nelson Kennedy of Alton Bay, Joe Santoro of Wolfeboro, Dave Sias of Meredith, Phil Twombley of Wakefield, Bob Verdonck of Moultonboro, Ken White of Rochester and Bob Zeliff of Wolfeboro.
Photos courtesy Rich Breton
This meticulously researched and constructed layout depicts the Union, Sanbornville, Wakefield Corner, Burleyville, and Mathews railroad stations as they existed in 1909 as well as the surrounding historic buildings in the town. For historical accuracy, the actual track plans were obtained for the five villages from the Boston and Maine Railroad archives located at the University of Massachusetts-Lowell.
The late 1800s and early 1900s were a booming period for the region. The Northern Division of the B&M service facilities were located in Sanbornville. Industry thrived in the areas of farming, mica mining, ice harvesting and shoe manufacturing. Abundant forests provided for huge logging operations and related manufacturing of wood products consisting of lumber, window frames, furniture, shingles, matches, wooden toys, kitchen utensils and excelsior.
Be sure to scroll down for our slideshows of the Sanbornville Coal Shed and section houses.